Here we talk about the protocols to observe when registering a Business in Trinidad and Tobago. All businesses operating in the country need to be legally registered. A limited liability company LLC, partnership, or sole trader paid to ship can be registered as a profit or nonprofit organization.
The country had a TTBizLink online service where attorneys and individuals can go to conduct :
- Name reservations for businesses,
- Name searches,
- Company Incorporations
- and Business registration.
To access the TTBizLink portal, you will need a TTconnect ID and password. To access, search for the name availability and start the application process. Once you have completed the application, online payments can also be made utilizing the companies registry payment portal. Of course, you would need the application reference number and a credit card to complete the transaction.
After this initial step is completed, applicants may receive an email with the reserve name approval. Instructions will also be provided to know how to proceed normally once your business name has been approved. The company can go ahead to register as a sole priority, partnership, or a limited liability company.
The next step in the process would be to receive printed approval letters and payment acknowledgment. After final payments are made, the company can then collect their certification.
It is important to note that an online appointment must be made at the Ministry of attorney general and legal affairs online appointment system.
Cost of registering a business in Trinidad and Tobago
The cost to register a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership business structure is TT$220.00. This cost may differ based on whether or not you need a search for a business name done. This cost, however, is not an extensive one.
Once the filing process has been complete, you will need the following for your certificate:
For a Limited Liability Company:
- Generate your notices and articles using page 16 of the attached document
- Printed receipt if payment was made online
- Articles of Incorporation: on a letter-sized page, portrait, double-sided, in duplicate
- Notice of Directors: on a letter-sized page, portrait, single-sided, in duplicate
- Locate the Print Acknowledgement link to the top right of the screen
- Print the acknowledgment on a letter-sized page, portrait, single-sided.
- Notice of Address: on a letter-sized page, portrait, single-sided, in duplicate
- Click on the Reference number to open
For general business registration, you need:
- A reference number from the application
- Printed receipt if payments were made online.
- A Print out of Application and a Printout of Acknowledgement
- Each document should be published as a letter-sized page, portrait, single-sided.
If you need more information on the process, you can reach out to the Ministry of Trade and Industry in Trinidad and Tobago as well as the Registrar General’s Department – Companies Registry at the Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs.