In Trinidad and Tobago, a police record may also be referred to as a certificate of character. This piece of paper will show whether or not a person has been previously convicted of any wrongdoings. Persons use these certificates for many reasons, including local employment, Proof in court cases, and overseas opportunities.
If you are a Trinidad and Tobago citizen or a foreign national who has previously lived in Trinidad and Tobago, you are qualified to obtain a certificate of character.
The requirements for obtaining a police record in Trinidad and Tobago are pretty straight forward:
- You will need to visit the police station in your local area with a valid identification card from Trinidad and Tobago. This identification card may include a passport, driver’s permit, or an identification card. If you are a foreign national, you may provide valid access.
- You will need the payment fee for your certificate of character, which is TT$50.
- You will need to record your fingerprint at the police station.
- Once this is done, you will be given a receipt and a time and date for the results. The waiting period for your police certification in Trinidad and Tobago is usually five working days after you received it.
If you are a Trinidad and Tobago citizen living overseas, you can still obtain a character certificate. You will need:
- Copy of your passport showing the applicant’s photograph, passport number, signature, and date of birth.
- A money order with the equivalent of 50 TT dollars and the return postage cost should be sent along with the fingerprint slip.
- You may have your fingerprints taken and recorded at a police station in the country you reside. The fingerprint sheet must be certified by an auto raise notary public an hour the notary public stamp present before being processed.
After you have gathered all the necessary documents, you will need to send a registered mail to the senior superintendent’s office in Trinidad and Tobago.
The full address is:
Office of the Senior Superintendent
Criminal Investigations Department and Criminal Records Office
Cor. St. Vincent and Sackville Streets
Port of Spain
Trinidad and Tobago
The certificate of character typically takes three working days from the date of the receipt by registered mail to be returned to you by the senior superintendent’s office.
How long is my police record valid for?
Your Police record is valid for up to six (6) months from the issued date.